How to Publish a Book – And Why
April 21, 2022
How publishing a book builds authority
Those years you’ve spent on the front lines growing your business and building your authority have made you the expert in your field. The next step is to capitalize on that by writing a book that cements your place as the authority among your peers, clients and the media.
The steps to publishing a book are varied and depend on numerous factors, but all begin with answering basic questions:
- Why do you want to become an author? This will help determine your audience and your “why” often gives you the fuel you need to power through what can be the long process of book publishing.
- Do you need a ghostwriter? If you’re not a self-professed writer, you may want to consider ghostwriting services so you can keep your attention focused on your business. Hiring a ghostwriter also allows you to choose how much you want to be involved in the actual day-to-day process of writing your book.
- What type of publisher do you need? Gone are the days when traditional publishing was the only avenue to seeing your book come to life. While it offers prestige, traditional publishing also offers the least amount of control over the final product. On the other end of the spectrum is self publishing, which offers you full control but is time consuming, stressful and oftentimes confusing. Hybrid publishing offers the best of both worlds, with professional guidance and control over the final product.
If you’ve answered the questions and are excited and challenged about the next steps, you know you’re headed in the right direction. But make no bones about it, publishing any book requires a costly investment in time, money or both. There are, however, numerous benefits that make the book-publishing process beneficial to your business and your personal brand.
A book is a fabulous marketing investment
The question of how to publish a book may not be as important as the why. Whether you want to share your knowledge, lay the foundation for speaking tour engagements, or document your entrepreneurial history in a way that will make your family proud, publishing a book represents a tactical marketing investment. Here’s how:
- Your book is a great authority-building tool that offers instant recognition for excellence and superior performance in your field. No one tells your story like you and writing a book offers the chance to not only tell your story, but also bring readers into your mind and allows them to get a firsthand glimpse into what makes you the leader that you are.
- No one enhances your personal brand like you, so let your book do the work for you. Publishing a book that homes in on you and your expertise helps celebrate your success in business while separating your personal brand from your business brand.
- A new book offers potential media coverage. After all, you have enough expertise that you’ve written a book, so when the media needs to speak to an expert on that topic, your chances of being quoted as a source rises. And earned media coverage from top tier publications is gold when it comes to building authority.
So get that book out of your head and onto the page. We offer turnkey service that allows you to be as involved in your book writing process as you want to be. Our team of experts is available to guide you every step of the way, providing you with everything you need to write (or have ghostwritten), publish, and market your book.
If you’re ready to move forward, contact us today and let us know how we can help.